Powered by an R100/7 motor
1967 BMW 980cc R60/2
Frame no. 1810573
Engine no. 6170446
At the end of 1954, BMW replaced its existing twins range with the R50 and R69. The engines were little altered, significant changes being concentrated on the frame and cycle parts, which now featured an Earles-type leading-link front fork and swinging-arm rear suspension. The R67/2, a lower-compression model much favoured by sidecarists, was not replaced until the arrival for 1956 of the R60, which used a low-compression version of the R69 engine. The sidecar market remained an important one for BMW, and the new front fork's bottom link incorporated alternative mounting points giving suitable trail should a 'chair' be attached. In 1960 the flat-twins range was revised as the '/2', most of the changes being inside the engine, which received a strengthened crankcase and crankshaft, hard-chromed piston rings, improved internal ventilation, new cam followers and a stronger clutch assembly.
This 1967 R60/2 combines the elegantly traditional looks of 1960s BMWs with the power and convenience afforded by a more modern R100/7 engine dating from 1979, which with 59bhp on tap has more than double the maximum output of the original. The conversion, undertaken for previous owner Chris Bond by Larry Junge of Bavarian Cream Restorations in Boring, Oregon, USA during 2006/2007, included fitting the front fork and twin-disc front brake from an R90S. Offering all the style of a classic BMW together with the power and reliability of a modern 'Beemer', the machine is offered with sundry restoration invoices and US Certificate of Title. EU import duty is payable on this Lot.
- There are no sundry restoration invoices with this lot.