c.1957 Ferguson FE35 Tractor Chassis no. to be advised Engine no. to be advised
Harry Ferguson's invaluable contribution to agricultural practice is his famous three-point hitch system. Designed in the 1930s, this ingenious device supported trailed implements hydraulically, maintaining ride height and enhancing stability. The first such model to use the 'Ferguson System' was the immensely popular Ford-Ferguson 9N, which also featured an hydraulic 'power take off' (PTO) for driving trailed implements. Ford continued to use Ferguson's patented technology after the partnership dissolved, leading to a protracted legal dispute. In the meantime, Harry Ferguson turned to the Standard Motor Company for the manufacture of a new tractor, the TE20 (the 'little grey Fergie') which was made in several variants between 1946 and 1956. By this time Ferguson had merged with Massey-Harris, becoming Massey-Ferguson in December 1957. One of the new company's first models was the FE35, introduced in October 1956. The FE35 incorporated several improvements to the original TE design including independent brakes (lockable for road use) and twin lever controls for the hydraulic lift, while deluxe versions were equipped with 'live' PTO and hydraulics. The latter greatly enhanced the tractor's usefulness as the PTO's rotational speed was now independent of the vehicle's forward speed, making tasks such as muck spreading, root crop harvesting, baling, etc that much easier. This paraffin-fuelled, PTO-equipped FE35 was acquired for use on the vendor's farm in the 1980s. Described as in generally good condition, the vehicle was last run in 2008 and is sold strictly as viewed. No reserve.