1995 Dennis Fire Engine Registration no. N141 DPX Chassis no. R4112C14/253 Engine no. 21197974
The Dennis Brothers - John and Raymond - manufactured bicycles, motorcycles and tricycles under the 'Speed King' name in the late Victorian period and showed their first automobile - also a Speed King - in 1899. The Guildford firm's first production models appeared two years later powered by De Dion engines. Other makes of power unit were tried subsequently before the firm settled on White & Poppe. Despite building a diverse range of fine touring automobiles, Dennis soon found that demand for its commercial vehicles and fire engines was outstripping that for its cars and production of the latter was not resumed after WWI. The firm's first commercial vehicle - a 15cwt van had appeared in 1904 and featured a worm-drive rear axle, unlike those of their rivals, almost all of which used chain drive. Dennis built around 7,000 lorries for the military during the Great War and since then the firm, which survives today, has specialised in commercial vehicles, fire engines and public service vehicles. Indeed, Dennis is inextricably linked with the manufacture of PSVs and more especially with the Fire Service, its first fire tender being delivered to the City of Bradford in 1908. This Dennis fire tender was delivered new to the West Sussex Fire Brigade and assigned the number '027728'. After many years of active service, during which period it covered some 106,000 kilometres (approximately 66,000 miles), the Dennis was sold in December 2011 and de-commissioned. Described as in generally good/very good condition, this MoT-exempt vehicle will have been driven to the sale and is offered with Swansea V5C document.