1943 BSA 500cc M20
Registration no. USL 590
Frame no. WM20 73326
Engine no. M20 27710
The creation of one of the British motorcycle industry's most prolific and talented designers - Val Page - BSA's new single-cylinder range debuted in 1937. Intended mainly for the sidecar man, the two biggest sidevalve models were the 496cc M20 and 596cc M21, both of which came with rigid frames, girder forks and four-speed, hand-change gearboxes. Ruggedly built and endowed with copious low-speed pulling power, both models were highly successful in their intended role as sidecar tugs and many M20s did sterling service as despatch riders' mounts with Allied forces during WW2. The duo were regularly updated, important developments prior to WW2 including the adoption of a foot-change gearbox and, in the M21's case, a change to a longer-stroke engine and a capacity of 591cc. Production of the M20 ceased in 1955 while the M21 lasted until the end of 1958, though it remained available to special order until 1963. Frank restored this M20 some 12 years ago for his own everyday use. Equipped with panniers, full windscreen and period leg shields, the machine is described as in generally good condition and offered with dating certificate, service sheets, recently expired MoT (May 2011), SORN and old/current Swansea V5/V5C documents.
- The engine number is WM2027710