c.1961 Ariel 247cc Leader project
Frame no. to be advised
Engine no. T25194B
Designed by Val Page and his team, the Ariel Leader and its sports derivative, the Arrow, sought to combine the virtues of speed and agility with those of cleanliness and convenience. Launched in 1958 and powered by an all-new 247cc air-cooled two-stroke twin with unit gearbox, the Leader also broke with British tradition in its frame and suspension design, employing a stiff, fabricated-steel beam instead of tubes, and a trailing-link front fork. Detachable panels enclosing the engine and most of the rear wheel extended forwards to meet leg-shields and screen while the rear chain was fully enclosed. A highly promising design capable of further development, the Leader/Arrow deserved better than to be prematurely axed by BSA in 1965. Offered for restoration, this partly dismantled Leader is sold strictly as viewed and without reserve. There are no documents with this Lot.
- The engine number is T-25104B. The frame number could not be located.