1934 Royal Enfield 225cc Model A
Registration no. USU 178
Frame no. 23989
Engine no. A2436
Like many other motorcycle manufacturers, Royal Enfield's origins were in the bicycle trade. The Redditch company built its first powered vehicles - De Dion-engined tricycles and quadricycles - in the closing years of the 19th Century and its first motorcycle around 1900. By 1904 the firm was concentrating on car production, resuming motorcycle manufacture in 1910 with a v-twin Motosacoche-powered lightweight. In 1913 came the famous 3hp v-twin that did so well at Brooklands and the TT. The 3hp was phased out after 1919, leaving just two models at opposite ends of the motorcycling spectrum: an 8hp sidecar tug and a 225cc two-stroke lightweight. Periodically revised and updated, the latter would remain a fixture of the Royal Enfield range up to WW2. Acquired in 1990, this example of the latter is offered for restoration (the engine turns over and attempts to start). The machine comes with Swansea V5C document and is sold strictly as viewed.