c.1955 Royal Enfield 148cc Ensign
Frame no. 46079
Engine no. RE35632
A 125cc version of DKW's advanced two-stroke lightweight - the 98cc RT - Royal Enfield's smallest model first appeared in 1939, re-emerging in 1945 as the RE. The unitary construction engine incorporated a three-speed, hand-change gearbox and was installed in a rigid frame equipped with rubber-suspended, girder front fork. A banana-shaped exhaust header pipe for 1948 and a telescopic front fork for 1950 were the only changes of significance before the RE was extensively revamped for 1951 as the RE2 with a much improved engine and loop-type, full cradle frame. In this form the RE2 ran on into 1953 before being dropped. Introduced that same year was a 148cc version, the swinging arm-framed 'Ensign', which continued in production until 1961, latterly as the 'Prince'. There are no documents with this Lot, which is offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed. The engine turns over.