1915 Indian 682cc Model G 'Little Twin' Project
Engine no. 50G868
Introduced in 1901, the single-cylinder Indian proved immensely successful and provided the basis for the first of the powerful, large-capacity v-twins for which the marque is best remembered. Indian's first, 38.61ci (633cc) v-twin appeared in 1907 with an engine clearly derived from that of the 'F head' single, though mechanical inlet valves - introduced for 1908 - were an early improvement. The twin's rear cylinder continued to form part of the frame until 1909 when the Harley-style loop frame was adopted. This new frame with its altered steering geometry had been developed in Jake De Rosier's racers, endowing the twin with much improved handling at high speed. The Springfield company's first production (as opposed to racing) 'Big Twin' debuted that same year, displacing 60.32ci (988cc). By this time the 'Little Twin' engine had increased in capacity to 42ci (682cc); this is listed in various sources as either of 4 or 5 horsepower, though by the RAC rating is actually 6hp. In this form Indian's smaller 'F head' twin lasted into the Powerplus era and was last catalogued for 1918.
This dismantled 'Little Twin' belonged to the lady vendor's father, who bought it in the 1920s as his first motorcycle. Since his death in 1994 the Indian has been stored at the vendor's home. There are no documents with this Lot, which is sold strictly as viewed. Prospective purchasers should satisfy themselves with regard to this machine's completeness or otherwise prior to bidding.
Auction terms and conditions