1964 BMW 494cc R50/2
Registration no. BDV 581B
Frame no. 639233
Engine no. 639233
In the early 1950s, BMW concentrated on refining what were essentially pre-war designs, but by 1955 was ready with a brace of new machines, the R50 and R69. Of 494cc and 594cc respectively, the newcomers inherited the up-dated engine introduced on the R51/3 but deployed this in all-new cycle parts featuring an Earles-type leading-link front fork and swinging-arm rear suspension enclosing the driveshaft in the right leg. The twins continued with only minor changes and then in August 1960 an entirely new and much improved engine was announced, the '500' continuing as the R50/2 while the '600' became the R69S.
This R50/2 was imported from Holland by the previous owner. Left in a barn for four year's prior to the vendor's purchase, it was first registered in the UK in 2011. The machine benefits from a 'last nut and bolt' restoration undertaken between 2009 and 2011, the engine, gearbox and final drive being rebuilt by Barry Wilson. All bushes, bearings, electrical wiring and the shock absorbers were replaced, and stainless fastenings used where possible. Only 400 miles have been covered since the rebuild's completion and the machine is not yet fully run in. Crash bars, panniers, flashing indicators, electronic ignition and 12-volt electrics are the only notified deviations from factory specification. Described as in generally very good condition, the machine is offered with restoration invoices, dating certificate, current MoT/tax and Swansea V5C document.