1936 BSA 986cc Model G14 Motorcycle Combination
Registration no. CNE 206
Frame no. D14 271
Engine no. D14 271
The first motorcycles made by the Birmingham Small Arms Company in the early 1900s used proprietary engines such as the Belgian Minerva, and it was not until 1910 that the firm introduced a BSA-designed and built machine. The firm's first v-twin - the 770cc (6-7hp) Model E - appeared late in 1919 and would prove the forerunner of a long line of rugged and dependable 'sidecar tugs'. A larger, 986cc version debuted as the Model F in 1922 and would continue in production as the Model G, regularly revised and updated, until 1940, though changes made to the big v-twin during the 1930s were few compared with those made to BSA's singles.
'Police and other public services throughout the world have proved that this machine will give years of hard work with the minimum of attention and expense,' claimed the Small Heath publicists, emphasising the G14's virtues, while Motor Cycling magazine pressed the point that, at £82 in 1938 with the mandatory speedometer an extra, the G14 was far from cheap and few could afford such luxury.
The current vendor purchased this BSA G14 motorcycle combination from its second owner in 1982, the machine being in part-restored condition at that time. The engine was then rebuilt by Brian Thompson of Bury and the magneto and dynamo overhauled by Dave Lindsley. The handlebars were replaced with a later type, and a later Amal Concentric carburettor fitted. The original speedometer, handlebars, carburettor, exhaust fishtail and leg shields, together with a collection of assorted spares, are included in the sale. (Please note that the tank-top inspection light will be removed for security reasons and placed with the spares for inspection). The sidecar chassis is a fully sprung Noxal, fitted with a reproduction BSA coachbuilt body.
Its restoration completed in 1989, the machine was used each year thereafter until 2002. There are 13 MoT certificates for this period. Since 2002 the combination has been run occasionally at shows but not used on the road due to the vendor's infirmity. The original speedometer (reading 36,564 miles) was replaced by a reconditioned unit that indicates that fewer than 2,000 miles have been covered since 1989. We are advised that the motorcycle should need only brief safety checks and a modest amount of re-commissioning prior to further use. Offered with Swansea V5C.