Property of a deceased's estate
1935 Excelsior 248cc Manxman
Registration no. ATG 168
Frame no. ME249
Engine no. BR125
The Manxman offered here is fitted with engine number 'BR125', which was the 25th 246cc long-stroke unit manufactured in 1935. The frame number recorded in the original logbook is '398' whereas the number clearly stamped on the headstock is 'ME249'. Excelsior specialist David Hirons has identified this as an honest mistake, insofar as frame lug identification numbers are often mistaken for actual frame numbers and cause confusion by making frequent appearances on original registration documents. Though it is widely believed that no factory records survived the war or the company's closure in the 1960s, much information and factory drawings did survive, saved by long-serving Excelsior employee and pre-war race shop foreman Tom Wildman. From information contained in the Wildman archive it can be ascertained that this particular Manxman was assembled in 1935 and dispatched from the factory with the engine and frame number combination listed above. The logbook with the machine records its date of first registration as 13th January 1936.
'ATG 168' was purchased by Mr Leslie Harris in 1938 and has remained in his ownership ever since. Harris modified and successfully raced the Manxman on Pendine Sands in Wales where at the August 1939 meeting he won both the 1-mile sprint and 6-mile race. These results are documented in both 'The Motor Cycle' and Lynn Hughes' book, 'Pendine Races'. Dry stored for many years and obviously in need of re-commissioning, 'ATG 168' represents a rare opportunity to purchase an early race-converted Manxman with in-period competition history.