1934 Scott 498cc Flying Squirrel
Registration no. AXN 129
Frame no. 3778
Engine no. to be advised
Alfred Angas Scott's experiments with two-stroke motorcycle engines began in the closing years of the 19th Century. The first complete Scott motorcycle followed in 1908, its twin-cylinder engine, two-speed foot-change gear and all-chain drive marking it out as an exceptionally advanced design. Low weight, ample power and sure-footed handling thanks to a low centre of gravity were Scott virtues right from the outset. Launched in 1925, the Flying Squirrel came in 498cc and 596cc capacities, the latter being the most expensive model in the range. Subsequent models benefited from the racing programme also, gaining the duplex frame and bigger brakes (first seen on the 1926 works bikes) and the magneto-platform Pilgrim oil pump adopted for the 1927 TT machines. In the 1930s the 'Flyer' took on more of a touring role, being further up-dated with detachable cylinder head, Brampton forks and a foot-change gearbox. We are advised that this Flying Squirrel remained in the same family's possession from 1940 to 2007 and during the 1940s was used regularly to commute between Birmingham and Yorkshire. Restored circa 2000 and described as in generally good condition, 'AXN 129' has been on museum display for the past few years and will require re-commissioning before returning to the road. The machine is offered with dating certificate, assorted correspondence, owner's manuals, copies of 'Yowl' magazine, Swansea V5 and a Smiths Chronometric km/h speedometer.
- The engine number is: DLZ 3936
Auction terms and conditions