1923 Douglas 2¾hp
Registration no. KU 2417
Frame no. 60753
Engine no. 59063
The Bristol-based Douglas Foundry commenced motorcycle production in 1907 with a machine powered by a horizontally-opposed, twin-cylinder engine would keep faith with this layout until it ceased motorcycle production in 1957. Fore-and-aft installation made for a slim machine with a low centre of gravity, and the design's virtues were soon demonstrated in competition, 2¾hp Douglas machines taking 1st, 2nd and 4th places in the 1912 Junior TT in the Isle of Man. Douglas were quick to realise the advantages of the countershaft gearbox, its three-speed entries gaining the Team Prize in the 1914 Six Days Trial, a conspicuous success that resulted in the firm obtaining a wartime contract for the supply of military machines.
This Vintage-era Douglas has the sidevalve engine of fixed-head type with outside flywheel, two-speed chain/belt transmission, and acetylene lighting front and rear. Originally registered in Bradford and owned by a clergyman in 1925, it appears to have remained in regular use in Yorkshire until 1956. The Douglas previously formed part of the Geeson Brothers Motorcycle Museum Collection and was fully restored by them. Purchased by the current owner at Bonhams' sale of the Geeson Collection in March 2003 (Lot 174), 'KU 2417' has been on museum display since acquisition and will require re-commissioning before further use. The machine is offered with old-style logbook and Swansea V5 registration document.