1926 BSA 493cc Model S26 & BSA No.7 Sidecar
Registration no. TW 5754
Frame no. 4229
Engine no. M9494
The first motorcycles made by the Birmingham Small Arms Company in the early 1900s used proprietary engines such as the Belgian Minerva, and it was not until 1910 that the firm introduced a BSA designed and built machine. The first model to feature the marques distinctive green and cream tank colours was a 499cc (3½hp) sidevalve single, which was soon complemented by a 557cc (4¼hp) long-stroke version, built initially with single-speed belt drive transmission and later on with a three-speed countershaft gearbox in the case of the Model K, to which the Model H added chain final drive. BSA continued to offer a comprehensive range of sidevalve models in all capacities well into the 1930s despite the introduction of modern, overhead-valve models such as the Sloper to its line-up. Around the time the example offered here was manufactured, BSA began referring to its 500s as 4.93hp models, arriving at that figure not by the more commonplace RAC method but that of the ACU, which equated 1hp with 100cc.
This delightfully original and un-restored BSA flat tanker is attached to a contemporary BSA Model No.7 Light Sidecar. The accompanying old-style continuation logbook (issued 1956) records the taxation class as S/Car Bicycle and lists three owners (all in Essex) the last of whom, Cyril Giachardi, acquired TW 5754 in 1965. The current owner purchased the BSA from Mr Giachardi in 2004 and since then has completed two Banbury Runs and one International West Kent Run with the outfit. Currently taxed, MoTd to 29th September 2012 and said to run well, the machine is offered with the aforementioned old-style logbook, a quantity of expired MoT certificates and Swansea V5C registration document.