1915 Triumph 550cc Model H
Registration no. CR 3472
Frame no. 263545
Engine no. 40910JFC3572
The lady vendor's father, Harry Merrett, purchased this Model H from The Pytchley Autocar Co Ltd in Slough in October 1921 for the sum of £25 (purchase receipt on file). Accompanying correspondence shows that this ex-WD machine was at that time in the charge of the Officer Commanding No. 381 Motor Transport Company of the RASC based at Colewort Barracks, Portsmouth, from where Mr Merrett collected it. Harry Merrett was well acquainted with the virtues of the 'Trusty Triumph', having been a despatch rider during the war. A photograph on file shows him and two comrades sitting on their Triumphs while on active service in France.
'CR 3472' was laid up in the mid-1930s, remaining off the road until the 1970s when it was renovated by Harry's son Peter, who inherited it. The refurbished Triumph attended its first rally in August 1974. Sadly, Peter Merrett lost his life in a traffic accident a few years ago and the Triumph passed to his widow, Elsie. On her death it passed to the vendor in 2006. Described as in generally good condition, the machine was last taxed for the road in 2003 and should require only moderate re-commissioning before returning to the road. Accompanying documentation includes the aforementioned paperwork, old-style continuation logbook (issued 1927), current Swansea V5C and two expired tax discs dating from 1927, which show that the Triumph was attached to a sidecar at that time. It should be noted that the front numberplate is a display item recording the Model H's wartime military designation 'ASC.C4'.
- The engine number is: 40910JFC3512