1915 Douglas 2¾hp Model P
Registration no. LE 7700
Frame no. 30013
Engine no. 30277
This machine was fairly complete when it was found in Dumfries, Scotland in 1968, having been stored in a dry environment for over 30 years. It was originally registered in Scotland as GA 9023 before the 1921 Licensing Act. In 1998 an application was made to the Corporation of Glasgow to reclaim that number but it was refused at that time. However, now that all licensing details are lodged at DVLA Swansea, a request by a new owner to reclaim the original number may be granted. All correspondence concerning the matter is on file.
The Douglas was fully restored during the 1970s by the vendors father with paintwork by Geoff Perry of Erith, wheels by Ron Crompton of Catford and the Thompson Bennett magneto overhauled by Charlie Towner of Farnborough, Kent. Little work has been necessary since, except routine maintenance. Since completion the machine has been used for many VMCC and other events including the Banbury Run, Cheltenham Sporting Trials, West Kent International, IoM Rallies, Brooklands and Sunbeam events.
Since the Douglas was manufactured during the WWI, it is likely that it was originally a dispatch riders model fished in military livery. It may have been returned to the factory after hostilities ceased and reconditioned and refinished in civilian colours before being sold, as many hundreds were.
Started from the saddle by pedalling, the machine is said to be a delight to ride, its two-speed gearbox being easy to operate with a little practice, despite the lack of a clutch. Engine oiling is by drip-feed adjustable via a sight glass, while the Amac carburettor has provision for a heating pipe to be attached between the rear inlet manifold and the carburettors hollow jacket to avoid icing in cold weather. The machine is running and complete with the exception of a front stand that should attach below the engine and a sheet steel guard over the drive belts front run. An adapter, made by the vendor to pump grease into the gearbox, is contained within the leather tool bag.
Accompanying paperwork includes a current Swansea V5C document and an old-style green logbook recording the original date of manufacture as 1915, the vendors fathers name in 1970 and the vendors name from 1977 when he inherited the motorcycle. The Douglas was last taxed and MoTd in 2010 and is currently SORNd.
- Please note there are no pedals fitted to this machine. The engine number is B29915