1955 MV Agusta 175cc 'Disco Volante Squalo'
Frame no. 415703
Engine no. 409208S
Meccanica Verghera (MV) introduced its first production four-strokes, the single-cylinder 175CST and CSTL, at the Milan Show in 1952, the newcomers' advanced overhead-cam, unitary construction engine setting them apart from most of the opposition. Their cycle parts too were state-of-the-art, consisting of a duplex loop frame incorporating the engine as a stressed member, oil-damped telescopic front fork, swinging-arm rear suspension and full-width alloy hubs. A year later the 175CS Sport arrived featuring an engine in a higher state of tune that increased maximum power to 11bhp at 7,000rpm and pushed top speed to over 70mph. Alternative versions with an Earles-type leading-link fork or conventional telescopics were offered. It was not just the Sport's cutting-edge technical specification that set the public's pulse racing but also its styling, for the model featured a sculpted fuel tank, almost circular when viewed from above, that soon gained it the popular sobriquet 'Disco Volante' (Flying Saucer). Not surprisingly, the 175CS Sport Disco Volante was soon MV's best seller. Production of this highly successful model continued until 1958, latterly alongside the 'Squalo' (Shark) variant that had been developed for the Formula Sport Derivata race series. Used by an MV concessionaire for publicity purposes and local races, this Disco Volante has been fully restored using Squalo parts including the latter's magneto ignition system (the roadsters used a flywheel generator). There are no documents with this Lot.