c.1956 NSU 247cc Sportmax Racing Motorcycle
Frame no. 225411
Engine no. 786010R
Another motorcycle manufacturer with its roots in the bicycle industry, NSU built its first powered two-wheeler in 1900 and went on to produce some outstanding and influential designs in the 1950s, foremost of which was the 250cc Max, introduced in 1952. The Max used a pressed-steel frame and leading-link front fork, but its most unusual feature was the Albert Roder-designed connecting-link drive for the single overhead camshaft. As well as providing works rider Hermann Muller with the 1955 250cc World Championship, the Sportmax racing version was one of the most competitive lightweights available to the privateer and in the right hands proved capable of a respectable showing in national events well into the 1960s.
The current vendor advises us that he bought this Sportmax in Northern Ireland in 1968 and has raced it at venues including the Nürburgring, Cadwell Park and Mallory Park, its last outing being the Isle of Man TT Parade Lap circa 15 years ago. Restored in 1984 and described as in generally very good condition, the machine benefits from a recently re-chromed exhaust system and is offered with instruction manual, a selection of gearbox and rear wheel sprockets, and alternative (softer) fork springs.