1961 BMW 594cc R60/2
Registration no. 61-WW-22 (ROI)
Frame no. 622862
Engine no. 622862
At the end of 1954, BMW dropped its existing trio of flat twins - the R51/3, R67/2 and R68 - replacing them with the R50 and R69, which now featured an Earles-type leading-link front fork and swinging-arm rear suspension. The R67/2, a lower-compression model favoured by sidecarists, was not replaced until the arrival for 1956 of the R60, which used a low-compression version of the R69 engine. In 1960 the twin-cylinder range was revised as the '/2'. Most of the changes were inside the engine, which received a strengthened crankcase and crankshaft, hard-chromed piston rings, improved internal ventilation, new cam followers and a stronger clutch assembly. The R60/2's compression ratio went up from 6.5:1 to 7.5:1, boosting peak power to 30PS (29.6hp SAE). Harry purchased this R60/2 at the Daytona motorcycle auction and imported it into Ireland in 1992. Got running briefly circa six months ago, the machine is offered for restoration and comes with ROI Vehicle Registration Certificate.
Auction terms and conditions