1957 Parilla 175cc Turismo
Registration no. 57-WW-23 (ROI)
Frame no. 501606
Engine no. 501606
Giovanni Parrilla built his first motorcycle in 1946, dropping his surname's second 'r' to call the machine a Parilla. The first Parilla motorcycle - a 250cc overhead-camshaft single-cylinder racer - was the work of Giuseppe Salmaggi, who already had the Gilera Saturno to his credit. The firm went on to build a range of lightweight machines using two-stroke and four-stroke engines, and in 1952 at the Milan Show introduced the 'high cam' (camme rialzata) model for which it is best remembered. This was a 175cc single, built in Turismo and Competizione versions, which featured a chain-driven camshaft mounted on the side of the cylinder head, the valves being operated via short pushrods. Stunningly beautiful, Parilla's production racer was also exceedingly quick, one not-yet-run-in Competizione being clocked at over 96mph by an American magazine. Not surprisingly the 'high-cam' model proved extremely successful on the racetrack, particularly in the USA, and enlarged versions of 200cc and 250cc capacity followed. Purchased by Harry at the Daytona motorcycle auction in 1997 and last taxed for the road in July 1998, this Parilla 175 is currently being re-commissioned by him. The machine is offered with copy shipping invoice, Motor Tax Application Form and Vehicle Registration Certificate.