1926 Rolls-Royce 40/50hp Silver Ghost 'London-Edinburgh'-style Torpedo Tourer
Chassis no. S178ML
Engine no. 20785
*7.4-liter straight six-cylinder engine
*Four-speed manual transmission
*Twin side mounts
*Attractive Torpedo Tourer coachwork
*Ex-Frank Cooke collection
*An RROC meet regular participant
It was in September of 1911 that E.W. Hives completed the legendary journey from London to Edinburgh driving a Rolls-Royce 40/50hp, a journey using top gear only, averaging 24.32 miles per gallon and at the completion of that journey the same car was taken to the purpose-built race track at Brooklands, near London, where it was timed at no less than 78.26mph. That car featured lightweight sporting torpedo coachwork by Holmes of Derby and mechanically was substantially to standard 'Silver Ghost' specification but featured cantilever, underslung rear springs and a larger carburettor. Demands for replicas of this model poured into Rolls-Royce and even today the 'London-Edinburgh' Ghost is perhaps the most coveted of all.
S178ML, a standard Silver Ghost chassis, was supplied new as a Piccadilly Roadster to its first owner, A.H. Beck of Wayland, Massachusetts, in June 1926. It is known that in 1950 it was owned by one J.J. Quinn and the car was acquired by Frank Cooke from J Baust in 1961. When acquired it retained that Piccadilly coachwork which was later fitted to a Phantom I, chassis no. S454FL. Frank Cooke acquired the present 'London-Edinburgh'-style sporting torpedo coachwork, built in East Africa, many years ago and mounted it on S178ML. The car is very smartly presented in all areas, the three-door coachwork being liveried in deep maroon and black and furnished with black, pleated and buttoned leather upholstery with black duck top and weather equipment.
S178ML is equipped with windscreen-mounted side wind deflectors, twin side-mounted spare wheels, sprung bumpers front and rear, leather-gaitered springs, side scuttle vents, Auster-type screen for the comfort of the rear passengers, fishtail exhaust, luggage carrier and trunk. Fittings throughout are nickel and Bausch & Lomb drum headlamps are fitted along with Toby diver's helmet rear lamps. As S178ML was prepared by Frank Cooke for long distance touring he wisely equipped the car with a modern oil filter system and overdrive unit to ease the strain on the fast longer drives. In addition, the car is fitted with front wheel brakes.
The car was used by the Cooke family and was a regular at R-R.O.C. Meets, becoming affectionately known as 'Lucky Dog', having been rescued and rebuilt by Frank Cooke from different sources. Acquired by the present owner from the Frank Cooke estate sale in 2006, S178ML has been used sparingly and is presented in very much the same condition as it was during Cooke's ownership. Offered with a Certificate of Title.