c.1924 Scott 486cc Squirrel
Engine no. 581Z
Bradford-born inventor Alfred Angas Scott's experiments with two-stroke motorcycle engines began in the closing years of the 19th Century, leading to the grant of a patent in 1904. Scott's original design for a vertical twin two-stroke engine incorporated the central flywheel with 180-degree overhung cranks and slim connecting rods that would characterize his products from then onwards. One of its chief advantages was close spacing to the cylinder axis and main bearings, thus virtually eliminating the vibratory rocking couple hitherto associated with vertical twins. The first complete Scott motorcycle prototype followed in 1908, its twin-cylinder engine, two-speed foot-change gear and all-chain drive marking it out as an exceptionally advanced design for its day.
Like most of their rivals, Scott recognized the value of publicity gained from success on the racetrack - particularly at the Isle of Man TT - and first entered that event in 1909, becoming the first two-stroke to start in a Tourist Trophy race. Back-to-back victories in the 1912 and 1913 Senior events would turn out to be the highlights of the firm's TT record, though Harry Langman came close in 1922 and again in 1924, finishing 3rd and 2nd respectively. Langman had first ridden a Scott at the TT in 1921, co-incidentally the same year that the factory introduced a new 486cc sports model the 'Squirrel'. At this time a 'sports' model frequently was nothing more than a stripped-down tourer fitted with dropped handlebars, but the new Squirrel represented an attempt to offer a machine with genuinely superior performance, a top speed of 60mph being guaranteed.
Every inch the typical Vintage-era Scott, with its open frame, 'biscuit tin' gas tank and two-speed transmission, this Squirrel was bought by Lex for use on the Isle of Man in 1962. (Its registration number, 'JMN 816', belongs to a sequence first issued on the Island in 1947). The machine had been found in a horse stall in Jurby by an ex-de Havilland engineer, who was working at Peel Engineering, and was entered in a concours by one of Peel's employees, who introduced Lex to Harry Langman. Langman advised Lex that the machine was in actual fact a '14 that had been updated to "make it more valuable".
We are advised that the engine dates from 1922 and that the mudguards, carburetor, exhaust system and footrests are home-made.
Offered with original invoice from Mrs Anderson of Anderson's Drug Store, Ramsey (£50).
- Please note that the title for this bike is in transit.
Please note that the correct engine number for this bike is 5812.