c.1914 Pope 4hp Model H
Engine no. E3821
Colonel Albert Augustus Pope established his manufacturing empire in the aftermath of the Civil War. His first major product line was bicycles and by the end of the 19th Century the Colonel was head of the American Bicycle Company, a consolidation of some 40-plus firms. Popes first venture into the field of powered transport occurred in the late 1890s with the electrically-powered Columbia, though a few gasoline-powered cars were made also, which was followed in 1903 by the Pope-Robinson, the latter resulting from partnership with John T Robinson. Pope-Hartford, Pope-Toledo, Pope-Tribune and Pope-Waverley were all added to the ever-expanding fold during the following year.
Similarly, Colonel Popes first motorcycles were marketed under a variety of names American, Columbia, Cleveland, Crescent, Imperial, Monarch, Rambler and Tribune though this was a case of applying different badges to essentially the same product range. The first motorcycle badged as a Pope arrived in 1911. This was the Model H, which was powered by a single-cylinder F-head (inlet over exhaust) engine and featured a cylindrical gas tank and direct belt drive transmission. The following year Pope introduced the technologically advanced Model L 61ci (1,000cc) v-twin which, although not the first motorcycle equipped with an overhead-valve engine, was nevertheless the first produced in significant numbers by a prominent manufacturer. Periodically revised and updated, the single-cylinder Model H was last offered in 1916. Production of Pope motorcycles ceased in 1918.
Presented in wonderfully original condition, relatively untouched and retaining its factory paintwork, this single-cylinder Pope came into Paul du Ponts possession no later than the mid-1930s and was last licensed in 1942. The machine is fitted with a Sturmey-Archer three-speed rear hub. Offered on a bill of sale.