One of the rarest pre-WWII Indians
1917 Indian Light Twin Model O Project
Engine no. 32J281
Like the Harley-Davidson Model W Sport, the Indian Light Twin Model O was inspired by the British Douglas that likewise used a horizontally-opposed, twin-cylinder engine. Replacing the short-lived Featherweight two-stroke, the Model O was introduced in 1917 and, like the Douglas, had its engine set fore-and-aft in the frame. According to Indian, the Model O was 'a machine of light weight, low fuel consumption, moderate cost and sufficient speed and power.' Although endowed with sewing-machine smoothness, the engine displaced only 15.7ci (257cc) and had a claimed maximum power output of 4bhp good enough for a top speed of only 36mph so it is not at all surprising that Indian's customers preferred the larger and more powerful v-twin models. Production ended in 1919 and the Model O remains one of the rarest of pre-WWII Indians.
This early example has the Featherweight-style front fork that was replaced by a scaled-down version of the Powerplus leaf-sprung type part way through 1917. An exciting restoration project, the Model O was discovered in the back of a Jersey City dealer's shop and purchased in 1947/48. The Lot includes the frame, handlebars, saddle, engine, tank, mudguards and wheels (the pedals and transmission are offered also but not pictured). Also included in the sale is an amazing period image of an example strapped to a biplane! Sold on a bill of sale