The ex-Georg Auerbacher, Hermann Hahn
c.1970 BMW 500cc Rennsport Racing Motorcycle/Sidecar Combination
The BMW Rennsport outfit offered here was raced by the late Georg Auerbacher during the late 1960s/early 1970s, a time when the German company's horizontally-opposed twins dominated the World Sidecar Championship. Commencing in 1954, BMW won 19 World Championships in a 21-year period, a run of success unprecedented in the history of international motorcycle racing.
Born in Bavaria, home of the BMW factory, Georg Auerbacher began his racing career in 1957 riding a solo BMW before recognising that the engine layout was more suited to three-wheeled competition. For the next three seasons he combined solo and sidecar racing before concentrating on the latter from 1961. The following year Georg made his debut at the World Championship's most demanding event, the Isle of Man TT, finishing in 6th place, a highly creditable result for a newcomer.
In 1963 he improved on his TT debut result by one place but by this time it had become apparent that in order to progress he needed a short-stroke engine like those available to the works-supported BMW drivers. Over the winter of 1963, and without any factory assistance, he built his own short-stroke motor in time for the '64 season, installing it in a new 'kneeler' outfit. Georg's hard work was rewarded with 3rd place in the Isle of Man, a result he repeated in 1965 and 1966, on the latter occasion despite him and passenger Manfred Kalauch having to push their out-of-fuel machine home from Creg-ny-Baa. Georg was also 3rd in the World Championship in both '65 and '66.
The 1967 World Championship started with a win - Georg's first - in the opening Grand Prix at Montjuich, Spain but the season would belong to Klaus Enders, who took four GP victories and the Championship. Georg's consolation prize was a win in the last sidecar round at Monza, Italy and 2nd place in the final standings.
A solitary Grand Prix victory (at Spa) and 2nd in the Championship in 1968 was followed by none in '69, despite which Georg still managed another 3rd place in the Championship. In 1970 Georg won two GPs, the German at the Nürburgring and the Dutch TT at Assen, to equal his best ever Championship result of 2nd. That elusive Isle of Man TT win at last came Auerbacher's way in 1971 when, having finished 2nd behind Siegfried Schauzu in the 500cc sidecar race, he took his Rennsport outfit to victory in the non-Championship 750cc event. There would be only one Grand Prix win that year: the German round at Hockenheim. In 1972, while practising for the Isle of Man TT, Georg and his passenger Peter Rutterford crashed at the 13th Milestone. In the accident Georg suffered serious head injuries, which ended his racing career and from which he never fully recovered. He was killed in a tragic accident in March 2007.
Soon after Georg's enforced retirement the Rennsport outfit was sold to Mr Hugo Walters in the USA, who commenced restoring it in the 1980s, finishing the task in 1991, the year of his death (see letter on file). The machine remained in his family's possession until it was bought circa 1994 by Hans-Dieter Petersmeier, who later sold it to the current vendor. The Rennsport was last run in the late 1990s/early 2000s at venues including the Nürburgring, Goodwood and Montlhéry, since when it has been the subject of an ongoing rebuild with Alex McFadzean. Now fully rebuilt, the engine was in the process of being reinstalled at time of writing.
Das hier angebotene Seitenwagen-Gespann wurde von dem äusserst erfolgreichen Rennfahrer Georg Auerbacher, von Mitte bis Ende der 60er-Jahre bei Rennen eingesetzt. Beginnend 1954, gewann BMW in 21 Jahren 19 Weltmeisterschaften eine nie dagewesene Leistung im Internationalen Motorrad-Rennsport. Zunächst auf auf Solo-Maschinen gestartet, erkannte Auerbacher schnell das Potential für Gespanne und holte bei seinem ersten Einsatz, bei der 'Isle of Man Tourist Trophy', sogleich den sechsten Platz. 1972 beendete ein schwerer Rennunfall Auerbachers sehr erfolgreiche Karriere und das 'Rennsport'-Gespann ging in die USA, an einen gewissen Huogo Walters. Dieser begann in den Achtziger-Jahren eine aufwendige Restauration, die er 1991 beendete. 1994 wurde die Maschine von Hans-Dieter Petersmeier erworben, der sie wiederum an den gegenwärtigen Besitzer veräusserte. Ende 1990 Anfang 2000 wurde die "Rennsport" bei Veranstaltungen am Nürburgring, in Goodwood, und Montlhéry eingesetzt. Alex McFadzean hat die Restauration des Gespanns in diesen Tagen vervollständigt und perfektioniert.
- The Engine number is: 549021