PYRAMID LAKE INDIAN RESERVATION.
Manuscript Map, ink and wash on waxed linen, titled "Map of Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation, Nevada," 22 x 36 inches, [Washington], March 23, 1874, with additional annotations in red ink and blue pencil, some separation at far right horizontal crease and smaller separations at left horizontal crease, mild toning and creasing, but generally good.
Includes a transcription of Grant's executive order, dated March 23, 1874, ordering that the tract of land known as Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation "be withdrawn from sale or other disposition and set apart for the use of Pah-Utes and other Indians residing therein," signed secretarially (likely by the artist executing the map).
The land that makes up the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation was first set aside by the Bureau of Indian Affairs in 1859. It was finally surveyed in 1865 (by Eugene B. Monroe, who is credited here), and Ulysses S. Grant affirmed the reservation's existence by executive order on March 23, 1874. This map is an official copy, marked as such and docketed in red ink at the upper margin, "Rec'd with letter from Indian Office April Office April 22 1874."