An early Meissen white figure of a seated pagoda, circa 1715-20
With his right hand resting on his right knee, his mouth open, 9.8cm high (minor chips)
The model was first produced in Böttger stoneware from around 1711 and presumably in porcelain from 1713. The inventories of the warehouses in Dresden and Leipzig made in 1719 list several dozen pagodas, and the model appears to have been produced in large numbers in the mid 1720s (U. Pietsch/C. Banz, Triumph der blauen Schwerter (2010), cat. no. 13). A similar example with a Japanese Palace inventory number was sold in these Rooms, 23 May 2012, lot 2.