The U.S. auxiliary steam frigate Niagara shortening sail off Point Lynas, Anglesea with the pilot schooner No. 3, the Duke in the distance. unsigned oil on canvas
The U.S.S.Niagara was a pivotal ship historically for the U.S. Navy, and the second ship by this name. She was launched by New York Navy Yard on 23 February 1855; sponsored by Miss Annie C. O'Donnell; and commissioned on 6 April 1857, Captain William L. Hudson in command. Niagara sailed from New York on 22 April 1857 for England, arriving Gravesend on 14 May 1857. On arrival in England Niagara was equipped to lay cable for the first transatlantic telegraph. By August 11th 1857 she had laid several hundred miles of cable westward. She returned to New York on 20 November 1857 and prepared for her 2nd voyage to complete the cable in February 1858. On 5 August 1858, Niagara's boats carried the end of the cable ashore at Brills Mouth Island, Newfoundland, and the same day Agamemnon landed her end of the cable. The first message flashed across on 16 August 1858 when Queen Victoria sent a cable to President James Buchanan. This mission was followed by the re-partriation of 200 slaves to Monrovia in December 1858, carrying Japan's first diplomatic mission to the United States from Washington arriving in Tokyo Bay on November 8th 1860, and then during the American Civil War running blockades of the East Coast, and then Europe. The U.S.S. Niagara was decommissioned in September of 1864, and then sold in May 1885.
Provenance: with Quester Gallery, Stoningto, CT. to the present owner.
Literature: A.S. Davidson, Samuel Walters Marine Artist, Jones-Sands, 1992, pg. 173, for an illustration of this painting and a description of this work.