1968 Morgan Plus 4 Roadster
Chassis no. 6598
In business since 1910, the Morgan Motor Company of Malvern Link, Worcestershire, built its first four-wheeled car in 1935. Until that time, all Morgans had been three-wheelers. The new model was designated 4/4, signifying four wheels and four cylinders. The original 4/4 used a Coventry Climax engine. When revived in 1955, the 4/4 used British Ford power. From 1954, a Plus 4 model became available, using the bulletproof Triumph TR-3 engine. This quickly became the preferred Morgan, especially in North America. After Triumph went to six cylinders in 1967, discontinuing the TR4 engine, Morgan responded by uprating the 4/4 with a Weber-carbureted 1,600cc Ford Cortina engine. A year later, a new Plus model, the Plus 8 with Rover V8 power, replaced the Plus 4.
This 1967 Plus 4 is one of the last of the model, dating from August 1967. Owned for several decades prior to 2005 by William Powell, of Macon, Georgia, it is accompanied by a quarter century of service records, an original instruction book and a spares catalog. Continuously maintained, it has most recently had a new front frame and king pins, and the steering gear has been rebuilt.
The body is painted in light cream. The fenders have been recently resprayed black by the very well regarded Tom Black's Garage in Portland, OR, off-setting the body color beautifully. The brown leather seat, although it shows some wear, is entirely serviceable and presentable. The woodgrain instrument panel and banjo-spoke, leather-wrapped. steering wheel are both in excellent condition.
The most sought-after of vintage Morgans, Plus 4s are hard to find. This car is an excellent opportunity to acquire a very nice example.
US$ 35,000 - 40,000
£23,000 - 26,000
27,000 - 31,000
- Please note that this vehicle is titled as a 1967
Auction terms and conditions