Formerly the property of Armin Schwarz
1972 Alpine A110 1600S 'Group IV' Specification Coupé
Chassis no. A110 12715
Engine no. 1565
One of the great names in postwar French motorsport, Alpine was the brainchild of Dieppe garagiste's son, Jean Redele, who began in the early 1950s by developing a competition version of the popular little Renault 4CV, which won its class in the Mille Miglia three years running
From this he developed the first Alpine - the A106 with Renault 4CV running gear and streamlined glassfibre coupé bodywork - which was presented to Régie Renault in July 1955. This 747cc Renault 4CV-based machine set the trend for a range of sports cars culminating in the A610 of the mid-1990s. Glassfibre bodies and rear-mounted production engines remained a common theme for 40 years. Up-rated in 1956 with the new Dauphine engine, the A106 also established the company's competition heritage with a class-winning performance in the 1956 Mille Miglia.
By 1958 Redele was using a sophisticated tubular steel chassis, and in 1961 he introduced the A108 Berlinette Tour de France which featured a tubular backbone frame, double wishbone front suspension and a Renault Dauphine swing-axle set-up at the rear. It was developed into a potent - and often unbeatable - rally car, using a variety of Renault power units.
In 1963 Alpine launched the A110 Berlinette, which became the mainspring of production, its rearward weight bias giving it outstanding cornering characteristics for rallying. In 1969 A110s finished 1-2-3 in the Coupe des Alpes and came third in the Monte Carlo Rally. The following year, Alpines again came third in the Monte and won the Italian Acropolis and Tour de Corse rallies. Alpine driver Jean-Claude Andruet became European Rally Champion.
By 1971 the marque's competition record had endeared Alpine to Renault to such an extent that they were appointed as its official competition wing. More successes followed, Alpine-Renault winning the World Rally Championship for Makes in 1971 and 1973 with the A110. The A110's secret was that it combined an excellent power-to-weight ratio with a fundamental toughness that belied its apparent fragility. Its pretty glassfibre body and stiff backbone chassis were both light yet durable; it boasted up to 180bhp and was competitive on all types of terrain. In production from 1962 through to 1977, this charismatic sports two-seater rivaled the Porsche 911 for performance while being even more exclusive: the hand-built Alpines left the factory at the rate of only 10 per week throughout the late 1960s/early 1970s.
The rare and highly desirable A110 we offer here was restored in 1998 by the then owner Armin Schwarz, the 1996 European Rally Champion and has been fitted with a 1,600cc engine to Group IV specification, replacing the original 1,300cc unit. It has a long range fuel tank, period fittings such as a map light, roll cage and bucket seats, and the correct Gotti wheels, Devil exhaust system and vented brakes.
La rare et attrayante A110 que nous proposons ici a été restaurée en 1998 par le propriétaire d'alors Armin Schwarz, champion d'Europe des rallyes en 1996 et a été modifiée avec un moteur de 1600cc avec les spécificités du Groupe IV, en remplacement du moteur original de 1300cc.
L'auto a un réservoir à carburant longue distance, des installations d'époque comme une lampe pour lecture de cartes, un arceau, des sièges baquets, les roues Gotti correctes, un système d'échappement Devil et des freins ventilés.
50,000 - 60,000
£43,000 - 51,000
US$ 64,000 - 77,000
Auction terms and conditions