Depicting San Ysidro Labrador, with oxen and plow, a diminutive angel and a pair of baskets at his side, enclosed within a vintage cross-topped and glass-sided nicho. height of figure 12 1/2in, overall 27 3/4in
Provenance: ex-Collection of Jan Kleijkamp and Ellis Monroe, New York
Ill: Hougland, Willard, 1946, pp. 12-13 and 31: "This example, with the exception of the figure of Ysidro and the Angel, has been repainted many times. In cleaning off the black oil paint on the cross and nicho, previous colors of white, red, blue and green become visible. The black paint on the oxen was not removed. The baskets are of recent date and the plow no doubt post-dates the main portion of this santo. According to informants, this was collected from the village of San Ysidro many years ago by the late Mr. Herman Schweitzer, dean of Southwestern collectors and in charge of the curio departments of the Fred Harvey Shops. The figures of Ysidro and the angel show little or none of the influence of possible Indian intrusion."
Exhibited: De Young Memorial Museum, San Francisco, CA; Pasadena Art Institute, Pasadena, CA; Portland Art Museum, Portland, OR; Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Santa Barbara, CA; Seattle Art Museum, Seattle, WA, circa 1945-1946. This lot is accompanied by a copy of the exhibition catalog.