1949 Panther M100
Frame no. 16166
Engine no. 9M178A
It is hard to miss a Panther M100, what with its so-called "Sloper" motor, in this case featuring a 600cc cylinder that looks like it might have been taken from a radial aircraft engine and has been described as "firing once every lamp post." Used as a stressed member of the frame, the motor simply dominates any view of the bike. Panthers were produced by Phelon & Moore (P&M) in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire, and went by the ad slogan, "The Perfected Motorcycle." Amazingly, the M100 would start its production run in 1932 with a girder fork and hardtail frame, and continue through 1963 with a telescopic fork and swingarm rear suspension. A 650cc M120 version soldiered on until 1967, when the company was dissolved.
To many eyes the 1949 model with its Dowty air/oil tele-fork and rigid rear end is the best-looking of the M100s. No speedster, the Panther had a hard time topping 75mph, but was renowned for its pulling power and many were hooked up to sidecars. It is an endearing motorcycle with a strong following and an active club network. The Panther offered here is an older restoration that has covered just under 20,000 miles in total.