Featured in Rolls-Royce and Bentley by Klaus-Josef Rossfeldt
1947 Bentley MkVI Drophead Coupé
Coachwork by Carrosserie Graber
Chassis no. B136BH
Engine no. B68B
The Autocar magazine was highly impressed with their MkVI test car 'Perhaps the outstanding thought from extensive driving of the Bentley MkVI built by the world's premier car manufacturers, Rolls-Royce, is that it has no single predominant feature but gains its unique position from a combination of superbly matched qualities that raise it above the level of other cars. Years of painstaking research and development with mechanical perfection as the goal show their results unmistakably. Smoothness and quietness and sheer quality are in the superlative.'
This elegant Bentley is the 3rd Drophead Coupé produced by the Swiss Carrosserie Graber on the MkVI chassis and may well have been only the 2nd to this particular design. It is thought that only 10-or-so were produced over a four-year period, seven of which are believed to survive. Graber's designs were always executed to the very highest standards and his creations were necessarily expensive, costing far more than those of his British contemporaries.
The car was built in 1947 for a Doctor Robert Kaffeli and supplied by Bellvue Garage, of Berne, Switzerland, the Rolls-Royce agents. It is understood originally to have been red but at some time in the 1980s was subject to a full restoration and repainted in dark blue a scheme that contrasts well with the chrome and suits the car. Unusually for a Bentley, the dashboard is metal and painted in the body color, which Graber preferred to the traditional wooden dash. Presently air conditioning is fitted, which some previous owners have felt may well have been ordered when it was originally supplied, regardless of this it is an extremely useful accessory in modern driving/use. Once restored, it was featured in Germany's Motor Klassik magazine (1990) and also in Rolls-Royce and Bentley by Klaus-Josef Rossfeldt (page 137).
By late 2000 the car was the property of Dr Vladimir Bar, of Erligheim, Germany, when it was acquired by next owner and imported to the UK. Over the course of the following 7 years the British keeper progressively improved the car commissioning much mechanical refurbishment as well as fitting a new top, in dark blue to match the bodywork. The British owner was responsible for changing the 'km/h' speedometer (which read 88,250 kilometers at that time) for an 'mph' unit in 2001. It would subsequently sell at Bonhams in December 2007 at which point the car crossed the Atlantic and into U.S. ownership.
Today, after a series of fastidious owners who have continued to enhance the car's condition it is presenting exceptionally well and importantly comes with all of its original documentation.
- Please note this car is not accompanied by any original documentation.