1964 Aston Martin DB5 Sports Saloon Registration no. CPF 558B Chassis no. DB5/1583/R Engine no. 400/1519
'Like all classic GT cars, it combines enormous speed with comfort and the more you put into your driving, the more the car returns for your entertainment. And the DB5 really is entertaining to anyone who can exploit its outstanding performance, handling and brakes. It will also carry four people (just) and a fair amount of luggage so the merits of family transport (if need be) have not been entirely sacrificed to speed and elegant looks.' Motor. Aston Martin's post-war evolution took a giant step forward with the launch of the DB4 in 1958. Classically proportioned, the Touring-designed body established an instantly recognisable look that would stand the marque in good stead until 1970. The engine was still an all-alloy, twin-overhead-camshaft, six but the old W O Bentley supervised 3.0-litre unit had been superseded by a new design by Tadek Marek. The new 3,670cc engine featured 'square' bore and stroke dimensions of 92mm, and developed its maximum power of 240bhp at 5,500rpm. The David Brown gearbox was a new four-speed all-synchromesh unit. Touring's Superleggera body construction, which employed a lightweight tubular structure to support the aluminium-alloy body panels, was deemed incompatible with the DB2/4-type multi-tubular spaceframe, so engineer Harold Beach drew up an immensely strong platform type chassis. The DB2/4's trailing-link independent front suspension gave way to unequal-length wishbones while at the rear the DB4 sported a live axle located by a Watts linkage instead of its predecessor's Panhard rod. Five series were built as the model gradually metamorphosed into the DB5 of 1963. The latter's distinctive cowled headlamps had first appeared on the DB4GT and the newcomer was the same size as the lengthened Series V DB4. The 3,995cc engine - first seen in the Lagonda Rapide - was mated to a four-speed overdrive-equipped gearbox; a proper ZF five-speed unit being an option at first and standardised later. The DB5 was the first and remains the most famous of all the 'James Bond' Aston Martins, having appeared in no fewer than five movies of the series, beginning with Goldfinger in 1964. Equipped with rocket launchers and sundry other gadgets, 007's DB5 was finished in Silver Birch with red interior, in which specification it was later issued by Corgi Toys. 'CPF 558B' has had only four owners from new and comes with a comprehensive history. Mr Arnold Ridley ordered the car on 27th November 1963 from HW Motors of Walton on Thames and took delivery on 26th June 1964; correspondence between Mr Ridley and HWM as well as the order form, original invoice, guarantee and delivery receipt are included in the history file. Mr Ridley obviously prized his Aston Martin as he kept the car until he died in 1986 when according to the MoT certificate the recorded mileage was 57,000. (The odometer currently displays a total of 79,000 miles). The car then passed into the ownership of Viktor Blazer of Switzerland where it was treated to considerable refurbishment by E Hahn of Kreins and in 1987 received a bare metal re-spray in Gunmetal Grey, which is the paintwork it carries today. In 2001 the car was sold to Graham Clemson who embarked on some considerable expenditure with marque specialists Aston Workshop and Desmond Smail. Undertaken between 2001 and 2007, works carried out included fitting power steering, air conditioning, concealed stereo, Monte Carlo handling kit, brake booster, seat belts and an alarm system, a carburettor overhaul, cylinder head unleaded conversion and a gearbox rebuild. A particularly well executed interior re-trim in the original fawn colour scheme was carried out by Desmond Smail in 2006 'CPF 558B' was sold to the current owner - a private collector and Aston Martin enthusiast - at Bonhams' Works Service auction in May 2008 (Lot 324). The car has since performed well on an extensive tour around Europe and been used regularly. By this time it was felt that the engine would benefit from a rebuild and this has just been completed by Aston Martin specialists Roxwell Racing at a cost of £26,000 and the engine is still running in. When the engine was stripped the block was found to be in exceptional condition with hardly any signs of corrosion. As one would expect, the rebuild included new cylinder liners, pistons, bearings, timing chains, clutch, etc. Described as in generally very good condition, with 'A1' interior and mechanicals, this lovely DB5 is offered with a large file of sundry restoration invoices, old-style logbook, current MoT/tax and Swansea V5 registration document.