Formerly the property of Jack Buchanan 1933 Rolls-Royce 40/50hp Phantom II Long-Wheelbase Convertible Coachwork by Millard & Co Registration no. 772 XUY Chassis no. 184MY
The Phantom II was introduced in 1929 as a successor to the New Phantom (retrospectively Phantom I) with deliveries commencing in September of that year. Unlike its predecessor, which inherited its underpinnings from the preceding 40/50hp model, the Silver Ghost, the Phantom II employed an entirely new chassis laid out along the lines of that of the smaller 20hp Rolls-Royce. Built in two wheelbase lengths - 144" and 150" - this new low-slung frame, with its radiator set well back, enabled coachbuilders to body the car in the modern idiom, creating sleeker designs than the upright ones of the past.
The engine too had come in for extensive revision. The PI's cylinder dimensions and basic layout - two blocks of three cylinders, with an aluminium cylinder head common to both blocks - were retained, but the combustion chambers had been redesigned and the 'head was now of the cross-flow type, with inlet and exhaust manifolds on opposite sides. The magneto/coil dual ignition system remained the same as on the PI.
The result of these engine changes was greatly enhanced performance, and the ability to accommodate weightier coachwork. The Phantom II was powerful, docile, and delightfully easy to control. Highly favoured by prominent coachbuilders, the Phantom II chassis provided the platform for some of the truly outstanding designs of its day.
Although not technically a PII Continental, the accompanying copy order and chassis cards state that this Phantom was supplied with a 'Long Continental Type Chassis'. To what extent '184MY' is to full PII Continental specification is not known although the order form does state it was supplied with the multiple leaf-springs of the standard PII but it is interesting to note nonetheless. '184MY' was originally bodied as a four-door saloon-with-division by H J Mulliner, in which form the car is illustrated on page 238 of Lawrence Dalton's definitive work, 'Rolls-Royce The Derby Phantoms'. Retailed via Jack Barclay Ltd, the Phantom was first owned by Jack Buchanan, the singer, actor and impresario whose effortless elegance, debonair manner and drawling singing voice endeared him to stage, cinema and radio audiences for over 40 years. Fitted in the mid-1970s, the car's current three-position convertible body is by Millard & Co of Harrow, Middlesex, and looks particularly imposing on the long-wheelbase platform.
This attractive Phantom II was exported to the USA in the mid-1970s and restored in that country in 1982. The car was purchased there by a Mr Werner of Koln, Germany nine years ago and returned to the UK earlier this year. Starting 'on the button' and described as a delight to drive, this imposing Phantom II comes with tax, MoT and Swansea V5C document.