1934 BSA 986cc Model G34-14
Frame no. E14 146
Engine no. E14 146
'Both the de Luxe and Colonial machines have been expressly designed for Sidecar work with heavy loads. For high speeds or in difficult country the extra power given by the larger engine will add materially to the rider's comfort and the average road performance. The BSA 9.86hp twin cylinder model is a typical example of the high standard of perfection to which the modern motor bicycle has been raised. As a super touring combination, it worthily upholds the highest traditions of British Engineering.' - BSA Cycles Ltd, 1927.
The first motorcycles made by the Birmingham Small Arms Company in the early 1900s used proprietary engines such as the Belgian Minerva, and it was not until 1910 that the firm introduced a BSA-designed and built machine. The firm's first v-twin - the 770cc (6-7hp) Model E - appeared late in 1919 and would prove the forerunner of a long line of rugged and dependable 'sidecar tugs'. A larger, 986cc version debuted as the Model F in 1922 and would continue in production as the Model G, regularly revised and updated, until 1940, though changes made to the big v-twin during the 1930s were few compared with those made to BSA's singles.
'Police and other public services throughout the world have proved that this machine will give years of hard work with the minimum of attention and expense,' claimed the Small Heath publicists, emphasising the G14's virtues, while Motor Cycling magazine pressed the point that, at £82 in 1938 with the mandatory speedometer an extra, the G14 was far from cheap and few could afford such luxury.
A 1935 model, this BSA G34-14 was restored 20 years ago and is offered with Spanish registration papers.
- The engine number of this machine is E14 162.