c.1926 BSA 493cc Project
Registration no. RL 5003
Frame no. M9476
Engine no. U4139
The first motorcycles made by the Birmingham Small Arms Company in the early 1900s used proprietary engines such as the Belgian Minerva, and it was not until 1910 that the firm introduced a BSA designed and built machine. The first model to feature the marque's distinctive green and cream tank colours was a 499cc (3½hp) sidevalve single, which was soon complemented by a 557cc (4¼hp) long-stroke version. BSA continued to offer a comprehensive range of sidevalve models in all capacities well into the 1920s despite the introduction of modern, overhead-valve models such as the 'Sloper' to its line-up. Owned by the vendor's father for 30 years, this dismantled BSA sidevalve 'flat tanker' is offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed. Prospective purchasers should satisfy themselves with regard to the machine's completeness or otherwise prior to bidding. There are no documents with this Lot.
- There is no registration number with this machine. The frame has not been located. The engine number is M6258.