1955 BSA 500cc Gold Star
Registration no. 940 AHA
Frame no. CB32 4130
Engine no. DB34GS 443
On Wednesday 30th June 1937, a specially prepared Empire Star 500 ridden by the great Wal Handley achieved a 100mph lap of the Brooklands circuit on its way to a debut race victory and award of the Gold Star that would give BSA's new super sports model its evocative name. The Gold Star did not return to BSA's post-WW2 range until 1949. First displayed at the Earls Court Show in 1948, the B32 Goldie boasted the telescopic front fork first introduced on BSAs larger models for 1946 and came equipped with a new alloy cylinder barrel and 'head. For 1950 a 500cc version the B34 was added to the range and this larger Goldie was the first to switch to the new die-cast top-end, with separate rocker box, in 1951. The 350 followed suit in 1952 and the pair continued as the 'BB' Gold Stars after the new swinging arm frame was introduced in 1953, changing to 'CB' designation for 1954. This change marked the introduction of the classic 'big fin' engine top-end but the designation lasted only until the arrival of the 'DB' series in the autumn of 1955. The 'DB' incorporated a much improved lubrication system and, in the case of the 350 only, a stronger cylinder assembly; as such it represented the 'Junior' Goldie in its final form, there being no 350 equivalent of the final 'DBD' version. A 1956 model built in December 1955 and despatched new to Chas E Cope & Sons in Edgbaston, this DB34 Goldie was acquired by its late owner in June 1967 and last taxed for the road to the end of May 1968. Offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed, the machine comes with dating certificate and its original buff logbook.
- Please note the registration number for this machine is 940 AHA.