1938 Lagonda V12 Saloon De Ville Registration no. MG 6210 Chassis no. 14060 Engine no. 14060
'In making an evaluation of the better British cars, the Lagonda V12 certainly must be considered an excellent design and one that contributed to raising the state of the art - not forgetting, of course, that it probably should be considered W O Bentley's masterpiece.' - Road & Track, October 1978. A quite remarkable piece of automotive engineering, the W O Bentley-designed Lagonda V12 was one of the outstanding British models of its day and one of the exclusive handful of 1930s road cars that could exceed 100mph in standard tune. Not only that, but the magnificent, 4.5-litre, V12 engine produced sufficient torque to endow the car with a walking-pace-to-maximum capability in top gear. Approximately 185 V12s of all types were built before the coming of WW2 prematurely ended production. The accompanying original logbook records this car's first owner as Lt Commander Peter Du Cane of East Hoe House, Hambledon; almost certainly the renowned naval engineer of that name and author of High-Speed Small Craft (Temple House, 1951) who served as Managing Director of Vosper Ltd. Acquired by the immediately preceding owner in March 1995, the car had previously been owned by VSCC President Martin Grant Peterkin and comes with a substantial quantity of invoices from Barry Simpson Restoration dating from the late 1980s/early 1990s. While in the preceding owner's care 'MG 6210' underwent extensive refurbishment by Allen Clear, a specialist in the restoration and repair of pre-war motor cars. Carried out over a four-year period commencing in 1995, this work is detailed in accompanying invoices totalling in excess of £28,000 and included the fitting of a new body. The car was completed in October 1998 and underwent extensive road testing in the spring of 1999. It was purchased by Robert Harley at Bonhams' Stoneleigh Park auction in March 2007 (Lot 338) and since acquisition has benefited from extensive works to the engine, electrics, brakes etc, and fitted with a delightful vintage radio carried out by Chris Shenton Engineering at a cost of circa £15,000. Invoices for the latter are on file and the car also comes with current MoT/tax and Swansea V5. Had WW2 not intervened, then the V12 Lagonda's impact on the luxury car market would have been considerable, the reasons for which are best summed up by Lagonda Club historian, and author of Lagonda 1899 - 1999, Arnold Davey: 'It offered a dashing sportiness that the Phantom III could not, plus more refinement than the 4¼-Litre Bentley and more performance than either.' The fact that fate took a hand and so few of these magnificent cars were completed has only served to enhance its mythic status.