Rolls-Royce commenced production post-war with the Silver Wraith and Bentley MkVI models. The traditional separate chassis was retained for the two newcomers, but for the first time there was standard coachwork. This new 'standard steel' body - produced by the Pressed Steel Company, of Oxford - was available at first only on the Bentley, the equivalent Rolls-Royce - the Silver Dawn - not appearing until 1949. The range featured a new design of independent front suspension, hydraulic front brakes and a new 4,257cc, six-cylinder, 'F-head' (inlet-over-exhaust) power unit destined for enlargement to 4,566cc in 1951. A much-needed improvement to the standard bodywork arrived in mid-1952 in the shape of an enlarged boot together with associated changes to the rear wings and suspension, subsequent models being known as the R-Type Bentley and E-Series Silver Dawn. The two newcomers were the first Rolls-Royce products available with automatic transmission, the company having opted for General Motors' Hydra-Matic, a state-of-the-art four-speed unit permitting manual selection. The standard R-Type was a lively performer, achieving 106mph in silence and reaching 50mph from standstill in 10 seconds despite a kerb weight approaching two tons. A manual transmission model, chassis number 'B288TN' was first owned by Mr Richard Costain (possibly the building contractor/industrialist of that name) and was delivered new in July 1953 via Mann Egerton. For many years subsequently the Bentley was owned by Mr Bill Richardson and there are numerous bills on file relating to work carried out and parts bought during his ownership. Also available is Mr Richardson's hand-written record of journeys made and work done between 1989 and 2002 when he sold the car, plus notes on previous owners. Photographs on file show various bodywork repairs. While in Robert Harley's care 'NYK 346' has benefited from a thorough overhaul carried out by marque specialists Broughtons of Cheltenham at a cost in excess of £15,000. The car is offered with MoT/tax to May 2012 and Swansea V5 registration document.