1927 Armstrong Siddeley 20hp Saloon  Chassis no. 7866 Engine no. 17218
Lot 426
1927 Armstrong Siddeley 20hp Saloon Chassis no. 7866 Engine no. 17218
Sold for £10,833 (US$ 18,208) inc. premium
Lot Details
1927 Armstrong Siddeley 20hp Saloon
Coachwork by Burlington

Registration no. WK 3307
Chassis no. 7866
Engine no. 17218

Footnotes

  • Armstrong Siddeley was created in 1919 by the fusion of the mighty Armstrong Whitworth engineering combine and the Coventry based Siddeley-Deasy Motor Manufacturing Company. Managing director John Siddeley's son Ernest had toured various car factories in the USA in 1919 and the first Armstrong-Siddeley model - the 30hp - benefited from the knowledge he had acquired. Indeed, the fledgling firm even went so far as to acquire Marmon Series 34 for evaluation. Although quite different from the Marmon engine in detail, the six-cylinder Armstrong-Siddeley power unit had a lengthy stroke and overhead valves like its American counterpart. The car's distinctive V-shaped radiator was the work of renowned motoring artist, Frederick Gordon Crosby, while its Sphinx mascot was a carry-over from Siddeley-Deasy, one of whose Knight sleeve valve-engined models had been described as 'silent as the Sphinx'. As one would expect of a company pre-eminent in the field of aero engine manufacture, Armstrong Siddeley built cars to the highest standards and soon gained a well-deserved reputation for quality, its advertisements proudly declaring: 'You cannot buy a better car'.
    Introduced for 1928, the 20hp was a development of the 18hp model, which had first appeared towards the end 1921, inheriting its predecessor's 2,872cc six-cylinder engine and four-wheel brakes. The 20 was available in Short and Long variants up to 1936 and for many years was the company's top selling model.
    This Armstrong Siddeley 20hp carries saloon coachwork by the Burlington Carriage Company, which had been purchased by Siddeley-Deasy in 1913 and would continue to act as the firm's in-house coachbuilder until car production ended in 1960. The car was originally sold to a lady in Chester and is known to have been used as a taxicab in Northern Ireland during the 1950s. Restored between 1960 and 1990, 'WK 3307' was acquired in 2001 by the current owner, who has continued the work which has included rewiring the electrics, overhauling the magneto and starter motor, relining the brakes, repairing the water pump and fitting new tyres. Described by the private vendor as in generally good condition, the car is offered with sundry restoration invoices, old-style logbook, current MoT/tax and Swansea V5.
Activities
Contacts
  1. Rob Hubbard
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    101 New Bond Street
    London, W1S 1SR
    United Kingdom
    Work +44 20 7468 5805
    FaxFax: + 44 20 7468 5802