One of the best known and most readily recognised vintage cars, the 'Bullnose' Morris had its roots in the Edwardian era. The first 'Oxford' examples, fitted with 8.9hp White & Poppe engines, were manufactured in 1913, embodying Morris' successful formula of offering technically unexciting but well built and well equipped cars at a bargain price. Closely related to the Oxford, the cheaper Cowley used the American-built Continental engine at the time of its introduction in 1915, rather than the Oxford's expensive White & Poppe unit, before switching to one made by Hotchkiss' Coventry subsidiary in 1919. A close copy of the preceding Continental, the Hotchkiss engine was made in 1,495cc, 11.9hp form initially, a larger (1,802cc) 13.9hp version becoming available in 1923. A reputation for quality and a drop in price saw the 'bullnose' Cowley established as Britain's most popular car by the early 1920s. The adoption of a flat radiator and an increase in engine capacity to 1,548cc were the biggest changes made for 1927, the mechanicals continuing much as before apart from a new semi-elliptically sprung chassis. All-steel bodies began to be phased in and four-wheel brakes became standard equipment after 1927. Testing a Cowley that year, The Autocar found it necessary to bear the price in mind: 'This is not so much because it is necessary to make allowances, but because the performance and general manners of the car would do credit to a much more costly and ambitious production.' Dating from the final year of 'Flatnose' production, this tourer-bodied example was extensively restored some years ago and is now nicely patinated. Noteworthy accessories include a klaxon horn, toolbox and petrol can. The car was acquired recently by the current vendor from a private collection, whose owner had cherished it for many years. Finished in black/maroon with beige interior, 'VY 2804' retains its original registration mark and is offered with current road fund licence, MoT to June 2012 and Swansea V5.