Lacking a sports car capable of competing with those of rivals MG and Jaguar, Standard-Triumph engaged in a hurried design and development programme that culminated with the display at the 1953 Geneva Motor Show of the prototype TR2. Simply constructed, practical to own and offering 100mph-plus performance at a bargain price, the TR2 was an enormous success both at home and abroad so it was only to be expected that its successor would represent evolution rather than revolution. Introduced in October 1955, the TR3 was, indeed, little different from the TR2. Changes to the Standard Vanguard-derived 2.0-litre engine boosted power from 90 to 95bhp but the most obvious difference was the adoption of an 'egg box' radiator grille. The engine developed 100bhp courtesy of a new cylinder head by mid-1956; then in August Girling front disc brakes and the stronger Phase III Vanguard rear axle were standardised. Cosmetically revised but mechanically indistinguishable, the TR3A was phased in during 1957. New front-end styling featured a full-width grille incorporating sidelights/indicators, and for the first time there were locking door and boot handles plus an improved interior. This left-hand drive TR3 was first registered in the UK on 14th December 1961. The car appears complete and although it has straight body panels there is some surface corrosion evident. Left standing and not run for many years, '794 CYV' will require extensive re-commissioning at the very least or, more likely, full restoration before returning to the road. Sold strictly as viewed, the car is finished in sky blue with dark blue interior and comes with old-style Swansea V5. No reserve.