The Phantom II was introduced in 1929 as a successor to the New Phantom (retrospectively known as the Phantom I) with deliveries commencing in September of that year. Unlike its predecessor, which inherited its underpinnings from the preceding 40/50hp model, the Silver Ghost, the Phantom II employed an entirely new chassis laid out along the lines of that of the smaller 20hp Rolls-Royce. Built in two wheelbase lengths - 144" and 150" - this new low-slung frame, with its radiator set well back, enabled coachbuilders to body the car in the modern idiom, creating sleeker designs than the upright ones of the past. The engine too had come in for extensive revision. The PI's cylinder dimensions and basic layout - two blocks of three cylinders, with an aluminium cylinder head common to both blocks - were retained, but the combustion chambers had been redesigned and the 'head was now of the cross-flow type, with inlet and exhaust manifolds on opposite sides. The magneto/coil dual ignition system remained the same as on the PI. The result of these engine changes was greatly enhanced performance, particularly of the Continental model, and the ability to accommodate weightier coachwork. Highly favoured by prominent coachbuilders, the Phantom II chassis provided the platform for some of the truly outstanding designs of its day, getting off to a flying start when a pre-production model ('26EX') designed by Ivan Evernden and made by Barker & Co (Henry Royce's favourite coachbuilder) won the Grand Prix d'Honneur at the Biarritz Concours d'Elegance in September 1930. Chassis number '100WJ' was completed early in 1930 with Sedanca de Ville coachwork by Barker & Co and is pictured on page 194 of Lawrence Dalton's seminal work: 'Rolls-Royce The Derby Phantoms'. The first registered owner was Major A Holt of Berkeley Square, London W1. Several other owners followed as can be seen in the R-REC records. Little else is known of the car's history prior to the 1990s when it resurfaced and was purchased by John Cockayne of Coldwell Engineering, Sheffield. At that time '100WJ' had been reduced to a partly dismantled chassis, the body having long since been removed. Restored to a very high standard (see photograph on file) the Phantom was approximately 80% completed when it was purchased by the current vendor from John Cockayne, who then finished the restoration for the new owner. For the latter's first drive on private property the chassis was fitted with a seat and a set of borrowed wings for testing purposes. An overdrive unit had already been fitted and the vendor came up with the idea of fitting a 'high-speed' crown wheel and pinion to the back axle as well, to further improve the Phantom's cruising ability. This has been installed and is said to have transformed the drive, which is now long-legged, effortless and relaxed. Only 1,500 revs (approximately) are required to maintain a speed of 70mph, enabling motorways to be driven comfortably without lorries overtaking. A reserve fuel tank with a capacity of 8 gallons further increases the Phantom's long-distance cruising capability. While the foregoing works were proceeding, bodywork options were explored and it was decided to reproduce a lightweight Carlton-style body with cycle wings, reducing the wheel size to 19" to achieve a lower and sleeker line. Body construction was entrusted to Steve Penny of S Penny Vintage Carriage Bodies in Banbury, and the result is a most attractive motor car built to a very high standard. The Phantom returned to the road in 2003 and since then has covered some 10,000 miles including some very enjoyable touring trips across the Continent, British Isles and Ireland. The vendor has owned nine Rolls-Royces and Bentleys, and rates this car as the best drive of all of them. Kept garaged and always been well maintained, '100WJ' is taxed, MOT'd and ready to go.