The ex-BMC Competitions Department,1959 BMC 5-Ton Race Transporter  Chassis no. 5K1774-147447
Lot 465
The ex-BMC Competitions Department,1959 BMC 5-Ton Race Transporter Chassis no. 5K1774-147447
Sold for £35,600 (US$ 59,837) inc. premium
Lot Details
The ex-BMC Competitions Department
1959 BMC 5-Ton Race Transporter
Coachwork by Marshall's of Cambridge

Registration no. 168 UXS
Chassis no. 5K1774-147447

Footnotes

  • Manufactured in October 1959, this BMC 5-ton PSV chassis was one of approximately 20 commissioned by the company's management to serve as mobile Service Schools, which travelled around the dealership network training mechanics in the procedures required to maintain the newly introduced, front-wheel-drive Mini. This example is one of the later models, which were slightly longer and consequently roomier inside. Designed by Pinin Farina and built by Marshall's of Cambridge with all-aluminium coachwork, they were equipped to a very high specification.
    When this particular unit's training function ended, Basil Wales transferred it within the company to the Competitions Department where he worked. In its new role the vehicle was used to store and transport display boards with Special Tuning parts mounted on them, while also serving as a mobile stores and workshop on UK rallies carrying spares, welding equipment, a Hydrolastic pump, etc. After the Leyland merger with BMC, the 5-tonner was refinished in Unipart livery and used during 1975 as a race transporter by Leyland ST, which was running a team of Triumph Dolomite Sprints and a Morris Marina for promotional purposes.
    The current owner discovered the vehicle at a disused railway station at Rednal near Oswestry, Shropshire in the early 1990s, but four years would pass before he finally managed to persuade the then owner to part with it. Apparently, the owner used the vehicle as a weekend 'holiday home' when he got fed up with life in his hometown of Manchester! When found, the rear of the body had been removed: a modification believed to have been made by a previous owner who had used the vehicle to transport his race/stock car.
    For various reasons the restoration took nearly ten years and was not completed until 2005, during which time the owner contacted Basil Wales, formerly employed in BMC's Competitions Department. Basil was very helpful and soon discovered that this particular truck was his: the one used to sell Special Tuning parts and to support the works rallying programme. Originally registered 'BMC 43', it came with an 'H' registration when found.
    In the course of rebuild the original BMC 5.7-litre engine and five-speed gearbox were replaced with a 6.0-litre Cummins 180 six-cylinder diesel engine and its associated six-speed transmission, which had already done 80,000 miles installed in a truck. The standard two-speed rear axle has been retained. We are advised that the cruising speed remains much as before, the conversion's principal benefits being much improved acceleration and driveability. A small kitchenette, shower room, toilet and hot water heater have been installed, making for a comfortable billet at motor sports events, while the provision of an hydraulic tail-lift further enhances the transporter's practicality.
    Described by the vendor as in generally good condition, this historic ex-works BMC 5-tonner is offered with assorted correspondence, copies of period photographs and related literature, 'as found' photographs, BMIHT dating letter, restoration invoices, current road fund licence and Swansea V5.

Saleroom notices

  • Although the V5 for this vehicle dates it as 1959, the vendor believes it was in actual fact manufactured in 1961.
Activities
Contacts
  1. Sholto Gilbertson
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    101 New Bond Street
    London, W1S 1SR
    United Kingdom
    Work +44 20 7468 5809
    FaxFax: +44 20 7468 5802