Originally the property of Sir Paul McCartney 1967 Lamborghini 400GT 2+2 Registration no. SLF 406F Chassis no. 1141 Engine no. 1139
Italian industrialist Ferruccio Lamborghini made his first fortune while in his thirties, converting military vehicles into civilian vehicles at the end of World War II. As a thirty-one year old he converted a Fiat Topolino to compete in the 1948 Mille Miglia, that venture resulting in an accident after just 700 miles which steered Lamborghini away from motor sport. He began his tractor manufacturing empire in 1949, his industrial interests developing to embrace manufacture of domestic heating and industrial air conditioning equipment. He was fortunate to be able to indulge his passion for Italian super cars but felt that he could produce better. Following a bitter dispute with Ferrari he hired engineer Giotti Bizzarrini, who already had established his credentials at Alfa-Romeo and Ferrari, and set about designing his first sports car, his aim to compete directly with Ferrari's GT models. Adopting a 3.5-litre, V12 engine formula, the first Lamborghini was exhibited at the Turin Show in November 1963 and first production models left the factory in Spring 1964. Touring of Milan were engaged to produce the stylish coachwork of the production models and the 350GT model developed a staggering 280bhp at 6,500rpm, giving a top speed of 152mph. This engine was further developed to 3,929cc for the 400GT 2+2 model introduced in 1966. This new model also embraced Lamborghini's own gearbox, replacing the ZF gearbox of the earlier model. Some 330bhp would thrust the 400GT 2+2 to a maximum speed of 156mph with a blistering 0-60mph in just 7.5 seconds. The 2+2 seating accommodation converted a sports car into a fast touring car, providing that essential extra cabin space. Just 250 or so 400GT 2+2 models were supplied to a very exclusive customer portfolio.
Not least among these was Paul McCartney MBE, known to be the first owner of this car. The car is believed to be one of four cars imported into the U.K. by concessionaires Mitchell & Britten, photographed in The Autocar magazine on 2nd February 1967, having been air freighted into the U.K. by British United Air Ferries. These cars were converted by Hoopers from left-hand drive to right-hand drive specification for Mitchell & Britten's U.K. clientele. This car was first registered on 16th February 1968 at a time when Paul McCartney and The Beatles were at the peak of their popularity, although restricting their work to the recording studio. Paul McCartney's ownership of this car is referred to in 'Lamborghini Supreme Amongst Exotics', by Andrew Moreland, Osprey 1985, 'Lamborghini' by Chris Harvey, Multimedia Books 1994 and 'Lamborghini The Legend' by David Hodges, Parragon, 1997. The car also appeared in 'Anthology of The Beatles' a 1996 BBC TV series.
The present owner bought this car in 1979 and, apart from an early change of colour to its present wine red livery, the car has remained in exceptionally original condition. During this ownership it has always been taxed and MoT'd and properly maintained. The gearbox was completely rebuilt in 1988 and in 1994 the rear suspension was rebuilt. Four new Borrani wheels were fitted in the 1980s. The present owner sold the car in 1989 but was so fond of it and appreciated its outstanding originality and condition so much that he reacquired the car in 1996. During those seven years it had covered just 800 miles and the present mileage of 45,000 or so miles is believed to be correct.
This finely styled Italian classic is presented in wine red livery with beige pigskin upholstery. Condition throughout reflects the most careful ownership in the hands of a well known motoring connoisseur and collector and the car retains an unquestioned integrity. It is offered with an old style log book, V5 registration document, current road fund licence and MoT certificate.