40 years in the current ownership 1963 Aston Martin DB5 Sports Saloon Registration no. 7667 UK Chassis no. DB5/1316/R Engine no. 400/1643
Aston Martin's post-war evolution took a giant step forward with the launch of the DB4 in 1958. Classically proportioned, the Touring-designed body established an instantly recognisable look that would stand the marque in good stead until 1970. The engine was still an all-alloy, twin-overhead-camshaft, six but the old W O Bentley supervised 3.0-litre unit had been superseded by a new design by Tadek Marek. The new 3,670cc engine featured 'square' bore and stroke dimensions of 92mm, and developed its maximum power of 240bhp at 5,500rpm. The David Brown gearbox was a new four-speed all-synchromesh unit. Touring's Superleggera body construction, which employed a lightweight tubular structure to support the aluminium-alloy body panels, was deemed incompatible with the DB2/4-type multi-tubular spaceframe, so engineer Harold Beach drew up an immensely strong platform type chassis. The DB2/4's trailing-link independent front suspension gave way to unequal-length wishbones while at the rear the DB4 sported a live axle located by a Watts linkage instead of its predecessor's Panhard rod. Five series were built as the model gradually metamorphosed into the DB5 of 1963. The latter's distinctive cowled headlamps had first appeared on the DB4GT and the newcomer was the same size as the lengthened Series V DB4. Its 3,995cc engine - first seen in the Lagonda Rapide - was mated to a four-speed overdrive-equipped gearbox; a proper ZF five-speed unit being an option at first and standardised later. Famously featured in the James Bond movie, 'Goldfinger', the DB5 was immensely popular, with demand swiftly outstripping the factory's ability to supply following the film's release in 1964. In total, 1,021 examples were built between 1963 and 1965. The 16th DB5 saloon produced, '1316/R' has been in the current owner's possession since 1971 and comes with its original old-style logbook listing the previous keepers. The car is finished in Dubonnet Rosso with Parchment leather interior and has the four-speed manual/overdrive gearbox. Although not its original engine, the unit currently installed ('1634') was in the car when it was purchased in '71. We are advised that the DB5 is to standard factory specification, complete with triple SU carburettors, positive earth electrics and a 10" Laycock clutch. The latter is said to need replacing and, ideally, the cylinder head should be converted to unleaded compatibility and the electrics to negative earth as part of re-commissioning to make the car practical for everyday use. The vendor advises us that between 1971 and 1978 he averaged approximately 7,000 miles a year in the UK and Europe in the Aston and that from 1978 to 1982 the car saw negligible use as he was posted overseas. From 1983 to 1988 around 2,000 miles were covered annually, decreasing to 1,000 a year from 1990 to 1992. In running order in 2010, '1316/R' currently displays a total of 75,011 miles on the odometer and is described by the private vendor as in generally good condition. The car is offered with the aforementioned logbook, Swansea V5 registration document and a quantity of old invoices and expired MoT certificates. A stainless steel exhaust system is the only notified deviation from factory specification.