1947 Morgan 4/4 Drophead Coupé Registration no. GAB 632 Chassis no. 1628
After formative years spent in the drawing office of the Great Western Railway, engineer H F S Morgan progressed to automobile manufacture, showing his first three-wheeler car at Olympia in 1910, coincidentally with an upsurge of interest in cyclecars. Of simple construction with front-mounted motorcycle engine and two-speed chain transmission, the Morgan was light, fast and economical to run. V-twin engines from a wide variety of manufacturers were employed, though those from J A Prestwich predominated. Competition from small sports cars forced the adoption of a conventional three-speeds-and-reverse gearbox in 1931, the last two-speed model leaving the factory the following year. A more refined version - the F4, with 8hp Ford Model Y four-cylinder power unit - appeared soon after. In 1937 the F4 formed the basis of the first four-seater, four-wheeled (4/4) Morgan and the following year a special Coventry Climax-engined sports model competed at Le Mans, qualifying for the Biennial Cup. A special Standard 1,267cc overhead-valve four-cylinder engine was introduced for the 1939 season alongside a new 2+2 drophead coupé, and would continue to power the 4/4 up to 1950. By that time fewer than 50 drophead coupés had been built, making this one of the rarest of all Morgans. This particular 4/4 is offered fresh from long-term chassis/body restoration, the frame and body panels having been restored by John Prince of Bognor Regis, Sussex between 1990 and 2009, whereupon the body was assembled and re-cellulosed by Ken West of Plympton, Devon. Completed in 2010, 'GAB 632' is finished in black with matching interior, the latter boasting a dashboard specially made by Matthias Kauffelt of Mannheim, Germany. The car is offered with old-style logbook and Swansea V5 registration document.