1936 BSA 750cc Model Y13
Registration no. ATE 651
Frame no. D13 380
Engine no. D13 318
During the 1930s BSA concentrated on producing an extensive and varied range of dependable, well-made and competitively priced motorcycles. The majority of these were singles but for the sidecar market BSA offered the Model G 985cc sidevalve v-twin and, for the more sportingly inclined rider, a smaller overhead-valve v-twin, the 499cc Model J. Somewhat surprisingly, given its complexity, the newcomer had originally been developed for the War Office. Predictably, it was rejected by the latter, which tended to favour sidevalve singles for military use, and appeared for the first time in civilian guise in the 1934 range as the J34-11. Typed J35-12 the following year, it was joined by a 750cc version, the Y13, before ceasing production at the end of 1936 as the J12. Although the '500' had gone, the 750cc v-twin continued until the end of the 1938 season. Produced for only three years, the handsome Y13 is today one of the rarest and most highly sought after of all 1930s BSAs.
'ATE 631' was purchased by the current owner in 1976 from a breaker's yard and then reassembled, made roadworthy and ridden until circa 1980, remaining laid up until 2005 when its restoration commenced. We are advised that the machine has been restored by the current owner as accurately as possible, with the exception of the rear mudguard, rear mudguard stays, and the battery carrier. The battery carrier and mudguard stays were fabricated by the owner using original parts to make exact copies, while the rear mudguard is a modern replacement. Unfortunately, a correct rear luggage carrier has yet to be found.
Banbury Powder Coating painted all the black-finished cycle parts while the fuel tank had any dents removed and was re-plated. The rest of the brightwork was refurbished by Derby Plating. All the handlebar controls are correct, as are the levers and straight-pull twistgrips, while the horn is a period-correct Altette. The engine was completely stripped and the con-rods, flywheel assembly, crankshaft bearings and pistons found to be serviceable. New piston rings were fitted and a cracked inlet valve seat 'invisibly mended' by Slinden Engineering of Derby, specialists in the repair of cracks in aluminium and cast iron. The gearbox was stripped, inspected and reassembled, there being no wear perceptible. Its restoration completed in 2007, the BSA is described as in generally very good condition and offered with old-style continuation logbook (copy, 1953), sundry restoration invoices and Swansea V5.