The policy of rationalisation begun in the late 1930s continued at Rolls-Royce after the war with the introduction of standard bodywork. In a break from the coachbuilt tradition this was made of pressed steel panels welded together. The new 'standard steel' body was available at first only on the MkVI Bentley, though customers could still opt for a coachbuilt alternative, such as the car offered here. A separate chassis was retained, the same basic design being built in three different wheelbase lengths, that of the MkVI (and Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn) measuring 10' exactly. Notable features were independent front suspension and hydraulic front brakes. Powering the range was a new 4,257cc six-cylinder engine featuring inlet-over-exhaust valve gear and breathing through a Stromberg carburettor (Rolls-Royce) or twin SUs (Bentley). The Autocar magazine was highly impressed with their MkVI test car in the Spring of 1950. 'Perhaps the outstanding thought from extensive driving of the Bentley MkVI built by the world's premier car manufacturers, Rolls-Royce, is that it has no single predominant feature but gains its unique position from a combination of superbly matched qualities that raise it above the level of other cars. Years of painstaking research and development with mechanical perfection as the goal show their results unmistakably. Smoothness and quietness and sheer quality are in the superlative.' Despite the popularity of the 'standard steel' body, a coachbuilt alternative remained the preferred choice of many customers. Indeed, anyone desiring a soft-top Rolls-Royce or Bentley had no alternative but to commission one from an independent coachbuilder, there being no factory-built alternative at this time. The 1949 Bentley MkVI offered here is fitted with drophead coupé coachwork by Park Ward Ltd, which had been wholly owned by Rolls-Royce since 1939. Chassis number 'B486EY' was originally ordered by HH Maharaja of Morvi, whose UK residence was Buckhurst Park, Ascot, Berkshire. Accompanying copy chassis card details record that the Bentley was originally finished in Mistletoe Green with beige hood and interior, and was equipped with power operated hood and windows. Registered 'KXL 287', the car was delivered via Hooper & Co to area retailer Weybridge Autos. Two subsequent owners are recorded on the chassis card, the last being Shermans (Silks & Woollens) Ltd from May 1960 Subsequently the Bentley went to the USA, from whence it returned to the UK relatively recently. Imported by the immediately preceding owner, the car underwent cosmetic restoration at the hands of a London-based specialist some five-or-so years ago and in December 2007 was purchased at auction by the current vendor for his private collection. Since acquisition 'B486EY' has benefited from the attentions of West Hoathly Garage in East Sussex, which re-commissioned the car in September 2008 and rectified the hood hydraulic rams and electric windows (see bill for £14,000 on file). Currently unregistered, this handsome coachbuilt Bentley MkVI is offered with C&E Form 389 (requires signature), three expired MoTs recording only 130 miles covered between 2008 and 2011 and current MoT to March 2012.